With the imminent completion of my orcs, I started looking around for what to do for my next blood bowl team, with the emphasis of not needing to buy more figures....(a bit on the broke side) After a bit of digging around my lead pile, I settled on the Nurgle team, using plague bearers as warriors, dryads as beastmen, a RAFM CoC beast as the nurgle beast and zombies as rotters. This also has the benefit that I have lots of zombies already painted so half the team is already done!And so I went and did a bit of research on old papa Nurgle since my fluffyness was a bit rusty. A bit of digging turned up what was probably the source of his name. Nergal was a Mesopotamian God of war and pestilence who was featured in an Akkadian poem depicting how he came to become the consort of Ereshkigal, the Goddess of death and ruler of the underworld. Some seem to think that he came down fell in love, slapped her silly and took over the show while others read it as he came down, fell in love and stayed behind marrying her. Either way, it was a passionate love story but I do prefer the sweeter second version.
Anyway, here is the first half of the team, the nurgle warriors/plague bearers. After shuffling around a few colour/paint ideas, I just got lazy and pretty much painted them in the same-ish sort of palette that I used on my zombies. As the surface detail is quite rich, I experimented a bit using some light dry brush and managed to get quite decent results within relatively little time. I destroyed one of my paint brushes doing it though!
p.s. as I paint stuff, my mind tends to wander over all sorts of silly topics. And I was thinking, why do they call these demons? Demons are fallen angels, and angels are messengers of God. But since the plague bearers are still loyal to their God Nurgle, they should more accurately be called angels. Right?
2 comments:
Regarding the daemonic issue: Check wikipedias etymology of the terms demon and daemon. They're only fallen angels in judeo-christian lore.
Oh, and the Plague Bearers are nifty ;)
haha, I guess as always it depends on whose definition you are using. Next thing people will start telling me Pluto is a dog and not a planet!
Thanks for the nice comment :)
Post a Comment