I just finished reading a comic book yesterday, or a "graphic novel" if you prefer the high brow terminology. The title is Brooklyn Dreams and its published by Paradox Press, written by J.M. DeMatteis with art by Glenn Barr. Went into a comic shop I have not been to for many years about a week ago. Whilst I was browsing the shelfs I came across this stumpy and fat little book. And on a whim I bought it. So what attracted me to the book? In a word, Moonshadow.
WTF? I hear you say? Well, Moonshadow happens to be one of the favourite comic books I have read in all time. I don't know what about it made me like it so much. I just know that I loved every moment of reading that book all those years ago (about 8 years? I read the 12 issue mini-series not the collected Compleat version). Well, it is also written by DeMatteis so when I saw his name plastered over the cover of Brooklyn Dreams I decided it should be pretty safe to buy it.
BD is basically about a man, Vincent Carl Santini, a Italian Jew in Brooklyn. The book is an adult Vincent (or Carl) narating about his senior year, with all sorts of turns and digression, moving forward and backward in time to various points of his life. Its quite an interesting read and the artwork by Glenn Barr is top notch and fits the story perfectly. BD did not dissappoint and reconfirms DeMatteis's place of favour in my patheon of comic creators. Quite highly recommended for the mature reader (as is Moonshadow!). You do wonder if there is someone in his life by the name of Ira and what did he do?
Any to close this entry, my favourite line in the book -- "how do you hate when you understand?"
No comments:
Post a Comment